The Read to the Final Four, a citywide literacy challenge in connection with the NCAA men’s basketball tournament Road to the Final Four, tipped off with a pep rally on Sept. 8 at the Barbara Bush Literacy Plaza at the Houston Public Library downtown.
Houston will host the NCAA Final Four in March 2023.
For the 2022-2023 Read to the Final Four literacy program, more than 39,000 local students across 391 schools and 11 Houston-area school districts are expected to participate in events leading up to the Men’s NCAA Final Four.
The pep rally included story times, live music, basketball games and more.
Read to the Final Four was launched the last time Houston hosted the NCAA Final Four in 2016. Nearly 6,800 third-grade students across 68 Houston-area schools participated then, with Dogan Elementary ultimately winning the competition.
More key dates for the 2022-2023 Read to the Final Four program:
- November 2022 – Kick off five-week reading season
- December 2022 – End of reading season
- January 2023 – School bracket seeding composed of top 64 schools
- March 2023 – Top readers recognized during Men’s Final Four week
- March 31, 2023 – Winning schools announced at a special event with a cash prize going to the school with the most participation and minutes logged
For more information, visit www.finalfourhouston.com/read-to-the-final-four.