This summer, city departments are opening their doors to provide opportunities for you to earn while you learn about what it takes to serve the residents of the nation’s 4th largest city. Most positions are for 32 hours per week, at $8.00 per hour.
The 2019 Summer Jobs Application will open February 11th and close March 23rd.
To be eligible to participate in the program, you must be between the age of 16 and 24 by June 10th, and live in a City of Houston council district. To find your City Council district, access the following link, http://mycity.houstontx.gov/houstonmapviewer/ where you will enter your address, and Council District information will be displayed.
Opportunities will be available in a variety of City departments, and include:
- Health and Human Services
- Houston Police Department
- Library Operations and Support
- Pool Gate Attendant
- Parks Community Center Recreation Assistant
- Customer Service
- Office Clerical
- Houston Fire Department
- Department of Neighborhoods (Light landscaping, garden maintenance, community clean-up)
- City Council/Government
- Human Resources
- Solid Waste Management
- Houston Public Works
- Information Technology
The City of Houston is a great and interesting place to work. Completing your application is an important first step. It is important to know that more youth will apply for the Summer Jobs Program than there are openings, so we cannot guarantee that you will receive an interview.
After completing the application, you will be invited to take Job Readiness Training online. You must complete the training in order to be considered for an interview. All applications must be submitted online. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Make sure you take the time to answer all questions.
Before you begin the online application, make sure you have:
- The approximate dates of any previous employment.
- Your correct social security number.
- An email address. If you do not have an email address, please set one up and return to the application. You can get free email accounts through many services, such as GMail, Yahoo or Hotmail.
- Phone numbers and/or email addresses for 2 references (preferably not family or friends).
- Your response to each of the following questions should be at least 50 words. We recommend that you write your responses before starting the application.
- Why should you be selected for this work experience opportunity?
- What is the greatest challenge faced by youth your age in your community, and how can you help things get better?
- What are your career goals?
Ready To Apply?
Application for Summer Jobs Program will open February 11th.
If you are not eligible to participate in the City of Houston’s Summer Jobs program, check out other summer employment opportunities at: hirehoustonyouth.org.
Need access to a computer? Visit your area library for access to the SJP application between February 11 and March 23.
Email questions to email@example.com.