Every year, the City of Houston celebrates dedicated employees and educates future generations about public service careers with a lineup of events during Public Service Recognition Week. Due to the COVID-19 health crisis, the City of Houston has extended deadlines and canceled or rescheduled our PSRW recognition events:
- Bravo Awards (COH employees only) - online nomination form now open, due April 30.
- Kids’ Poster Contest (relatives of city employees ages 5-18) - turn in submissions in person by April 30. You can mail entries to 611 Walker, 4A, Houston, TX 77002 or submit online.
- The scheduled celebratory events for the Essay Contest, Poster Contest and Bravo Awards will be announced.
- The PSRW Kickball Tournament has been rescheduled to October as a fundraiser for the 2021 "Give & Grow" CMC. Date and time for the tournament to be announced. There is time to get your team together, sign-up today.
- The 2020 Mayor’s Service Awards Luncheon has been rescheduled to June 29 and might be subject to change.
- Should we receive a formal directive from the mayor’s office, we will communicate any additional changes on the PSRW home page https://cohemployeenews.com/home-psrw.
Houston area high school seniors can earn up to $2,000 for college, gain a deeper understanding about local government and learn about the broad range of career options serving the residents of Houston.
The contest is open to all high school seniors in public and private schools in Harris County, and all counties that border Harris County.
Essay contest participants are asked to choose a city career, put yourself in a city employee’s shoes, and write 500 words about how you would strengthen the City of Houston. Essays about careers or entities outside the purview of the City of Houston will not be considered. Contestants should provide specific suggestions about how you would improve or create innovative city programs. View a list of city job classifications.
The submission deadline has passed. Essays are currently under review. Winners will be notified in April. The recognition ceremony has been cancelled until further notice, but winners will still receive their scholarships in June.
Scholarships, sponsored by Cigna, include:
- First prize: $2,000
- Second prize: $1,200
- Third prize: $800
- Honorable Mention: $500
- Honorable Mention: $500
For more information, please contact Elise Marrion at 832-393-6132 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Bravo awards recognize deserving city employees whose excellent service on the job and honorable service in the community outside of work helps those most in need. If you know a city employee whose volunteerism and public service is changing lives, submit a Bravo nomination for him or her.
Submission rules and guidelines:
- All sections of the online submission form must be completed to be considered.
- City employees are unable to nominate themselves and must be nominated by a city employee.
- Only two supporting documents can be submitted with each nomination.
- Work performance will be verified through the nominee’s manager or supervisor.
- Volunteerism listed in the submission form will be verified.
- Review example submissions before completing an online form.
- The last day to submit a Bravo nomination is April 30, 2020.
Bravo Award Ceremony
Winners will be notified of about reschedule ceremony details.
For more information, contact Lucha Morales at email@example.com.
Do you know any budding artists interested in public service? Invite them to submit a poster. Kids can learn about public service while competing for some great prizes. Don’t miss out on an opportunity to educate your child or relative about the importance of public service through his or her own artful expression.
Poster Contest Rules:
- Draw yourself in a City of Houston job. We have job listings to help your child better understand the job position.
- Anyone ages 5-18 whose parent or relative works for the city can participate.
- Using any medium, draw yourself as a city employee on the job. Be creative.
- Posters must be approximately 8-1/2 x 11 inches.
- On the back of the poster, put the poster title, your name, age and phone number as well as the name, department and work phone number of your parent or relative.
- You can mail entries to 611 Walker, 4A, Houston, TX 77002 or submit online.
Prize packages will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each age group.
Winners will be informed about rescheduled ceremony details.
For more information, contact Nichole Robinson at 832-393-6130 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
City departments will go head-to-head for bragging rights next fall.
The kickball tournament will be moved to October as a fundraiser for the 2021 "Give & Grow" CMC. We are asking for a donation of $100 per team so if you have already registered, please contact Jennifer Cobb at 832-393-6163 or email@example.com for details.