Saying thank you is one of several ways the City of Houston honors employees during Public Service Recognition Week. This year, PSRW will take place May 6-10. The week-long celebration aims to honor, recognize and teach the community about public service careers.
Upcoming PSRW events including the Mayor’s Service Awards, the Bravo Awards, the poster and essay contests, as well the annual kickball tournament have deadlines soon approaching. We invite you to help us celebrate our dedicated public servants. Save the following dates:
- Bravo Awards (COH employees only) - online nomination form now open, due March 29.
- Scholarship Essay Contest(area high school seniors) - online submissions are due March 18.
- Kids’ Poster Contest (relatives of city employees ages 5-18) - turn in submissions in person by April 13.
- Kickball Tournament (COH employees) - register online by April 10.
- Mayor’s Service Awards April 22 - employees celebrating 30 years of service or more will be contacted directly.
The Bravo awards recognize deserving city employees whose excellent service on the job and honorable service in the community outside of work helps those most in need. If you know a city employee whose volunteerism and public service is changing lives, submit a Bravo nomination for him or her.
Submission rules and guidelines:
- All sections of the online submission form must be completed to be considered.
- City employees are unable to nominate themselves and must be nominated by a city employee.
- Only two supporting documents can be submitted with each nomination.
- Work performance will be verified through nominee’s manager or supervisor.
- Volunteerism listed in submission form will be verified.
- Review example submissions before completing online form.
- The last day to submit a Bravo nomination is March 29, 2018.
Bravo Award Ceremony
The Bravo recognition ceremony will be held during City Council on May 7, 2019 on the second floor of City Hall. Winners will be notified and invited to attend the ceremony.
For more information, contact Lucha Morales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Houston area high school seniors can earn up to $2,000 for college, gain a deeper understanding about local government and learn about the broad range of career options serving the residents of Houston.
The contest is open to all high school seniors in public and private schools in Harris County, and all counties that border Harris County.
Essay contest participants are asked to choose a city career, put yourself in a city employee’s shoes, and write 500 words about how you would strengthen the City of Houston. Essays about careers or entities outside the purview of the City of Houston will not be considered. Contestants should provide specific suggestions about how you would improve or create innovative city programs. View a list of city job classifications.
Submit essays online by Monday, March 18.
Scholarships, sponsored by Cigna, include:
First prize: $2,000
Second prize: $1,200
Third prize: $800
Honorable Mention: $500
Honorable Mention: $500
Scholarship winner ceremony: Monday, May 6.
For more information, please contact Elise Marrion at 832-393-6132 or email@example.com.
Do you know any budding artists interested in public service? Invite them to submit a poster. Kids can learn about public service, while competing for some great prizes. Don’t miss out an opportunity to educate your child or relative about the importance of public service through his or her own artful expression.
Poster Contest Rules:
- Draw yourself in a City of Houston job. We have job listings to help your child better understand the job position.
- Anyone ages 5-18 whose parent or relative works for the city can participate.
- Using any medium, draw yourself as a city employee on the job. Be creative.
- Posters must be approximately 8-1/2 x 11 inches.
- On the back of the poster, put the poster title, your name, age and phone number as well as the name, department and work phone number of your parent or relative.
- Submit labeled entries to Nichole Robinson on the fourth floor at 611 Walker by April 12.
Prize packages will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in each age group.
May 8, 2019
For more information, contact Nichole Robinson at 832-393-6130 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let loose and have some fun at this year’s PSWR Kickball Tournament. City departments will go head-to-head for bragging rights this spring. Think you have what it takes? Register your team. The tournament is open to all city department employees. Family and friends are invited to come out and cheer on their favorite team and enjoy some fun, food and music.
Date and location: April 13 from 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. at Memorial Park, softball fields #4 & #5.
All participants must complete an injury waiver.