Below are some indicators to help you determine if you are making food choices based off physical versus emotional responses:
Adapted from Roger Gould, M.D., “Shrink Yourself”
Southwestern quinoa and egg breakfast bowl
- ¼ cup raw quinoa
- ½ avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup no-salt-added, frozen corn (thawed)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Cook quinoa according to the package directions. Remove from heat and let sit
- Prepare the remaining ingredients: pit and dice the avocado half, chop the tomatoes; rinse the canned corn; chop the scallions, and chop the cilantro
- Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Arrange the avocado, tomatoes, corn, scallions, and cilantro between each bowl.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray. Crack egg into skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook until egg whites are set but still runny, about 3-4 mins. Use a spatula to transfer each sunny side up egg to bowl. Garnish with hot sauce and serve.
Serving Size: ¼ of recipe
Calories 244, Carbohydrate 28.8 g, Protein 11.7 g, Fat 3 g, Saturated Fat 2.3 g, Dietary Fiber 5.4 g, Cholesterol 186 mg, Sodium 154 mg
Dietitian Tip: Consider adding some black beans to increase fiber! Fiber helps stabilize blood sugar and keeps you full throughout the day.