Mayor Sylvester Turner announced the 2017 program on Wednesday, June 7, 2017. Sponsored by Capital One Bank in partnership with the Houston Public Library and the Office of Business Opportunity, Liftoff Houston is a start-up business plan competition that engages and empowers Houstonians seeking to start a new business in Houston by providing them with access to essential information, resources and the support necessary to develop a sound business plan toward realizing their goal.
In its fifth year, Liftoff Houston has helped to educate thousands of individuals seeking information on how to start and sustain their business, supported the launch of new businesses, and provided over $120,000 in cash awards and incentives to those businesses. This year’s program will build on past successes to include more opportunities to showcase previous winners and finalists, encourage program participation and completion and engage the general public. Added program activities such as a Winners Panel and mixer featuring past competition winners, additional business plan and pitch coaching, cash incentives for business plan completion and fan favorite selections, and live streaming of key events are just some ways this will be accomplished.
“Houston is a city of economic opportunity. Liftoff Houston is an opportunity for all Houstonians who are considering starting a business but may need that extra push to get started. I am grateful to our partners and Capital One Bank for continuing to invest in our small business community and I am inviting all interested Houstonians to participate,” said Mayor Sylvester Turner.
- Contestants must be in the start-up phase of their business, meaning they either must have a developed business idea or have a business operation for less than one year with revenue of less than $10,000.
- Required to have a HPL Library Card for research.
- Contestant must live and have business within Houston city limits.
- Application deadline is no later than 2 p.m. Friday, July 5, 2017.
- Three winning categories of Product, Service and Innovation will each be awarded $10,000.
For more information and to apply, visit www.Liftoffhouston.com or call the City of Houston-Office of Business Opportunity 832-393-0954.