When Marina Mendoza’s son began to choke, she froze for a moment: she didn’t know the Heimlich maneuver and wasn’t sure what to do.
The choking episode, which occurred years ago when Mendoza’s son was a child, subsided but Mendoza’s apprehension did not. So she decided to do something about it. She took safety courses and now can perform the potentially life-saving Heimlich if a similar situation arises again.
That was most fortunate, indeed, for an HR colleague of Mendoza’s about a year and a half ago. The two were eating lunch in December 2015 when the woman began to choke. Mendoza quickly performed the Heimlich and saved her friend’s life.
Read more about Marina Mendoza, the first Safety Star in the new fiscal year.